Whenever I post pictures of buckwheat porridge for breakfast on my Instagram, a lot of people ask me for the recipe. Now that I have a blog, it will be much easier for all of you to find the recipe and you don’t have to scroll through comments on my pictures. This is how I do it:
Basic Vegan Buckwheat Porridge Recipe
- ½ cup buckwheat
- 1 cup hot water
- a handful hazelnuts
- cinnamon, ginger and a dash of salt
- ½ a lemon (for the juice)
- 1-2 chopped dates (optional)
- Rinse the buckwheat under hot water, then put it in a pot - do not add anything else just yet.
- Turn the heat on and roast it a bit, but don't let it burn. If you want, you can now also add the hazelnuts - either as a whole or you chop them up, that's up to you.
- When it starts smelling yummy, add the spices. You can either use fresh ginger and grate some into it for an intense flavor, put a little whole ginger snippet into it or use dried ginger powder. Everything works!
- After adding in the spices, add the water and turn the heat down to medium low. Be careful that it doesn't boil over at first! If you want it sweet, add the dates now. Let it cook for about 15 minutes and check probably once, that it's not sticking to the bottom. You can tell that the buckwheat is done, when it's soft and all the water is gone.
- Turn off the heat and add the lemon juice. Don't add everything at once, just half of it first and see how you like the taste.
Enjoy! For toppings, banana, tahini, hazelnuts, cocoa nibs and dates make a perfect combination.
- You can leave out the lemon, it’s still delicious!
- If you want it even sweeter, add another 1-2 chopped dates to the cooking porridge, or add some sweetener you like.
Pictures Updated February 2015.