I don’t usually post on Saturdays, but I wanted to share this recipe with you guys before all the berries are gone! This is my adaptation of the The Kitchn’s blackberry chia jam. It’s so easy and simple, you can do it in 5 minutes (+10 for letting it cool down and thicken up a bit). I used pure ripe blackberries for it, and it turned out delicious! This is a wonderful, healthy, no (refined) sugar added, alternative to traditional jam 🙂
Blackberry Chia Jam
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1/2 lemon (the juice of it)
- 1 tbsp honey (or another sweetener of your choice)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Put blackberries and lemon juice in a small sauce pan and heat them up until they boil – they will start to break down and you can speed up the process if you use the back of a fork to mush them up.
- After about 5 minutes, turn of the heat and add in the honey. Stir until it is dissolved.
- Take away from the heat and stir in the chia seeds – let it sit for about 10 minutes to let the seeds gel up.
- Let it cool down a bit and transfer in an airtight glass container and store it in the fridge.
You can easily make this with just a handful berries as well – just reduce the lemon juice, honey and chia seeds accordingly. If you like your jam on the more sour side, you can completely omit the honey as well. To make this recipe vegan, you can obviously substitute the honey with a sweetener of your choice. Just keep in mind, that it will get bad faster, as the honey helps with preservation of the jam. It’s so delicious though, that you will go through this blackberry chia jam way before it has a chance to go bad!