When I wrote my Weekend Reading #2 – Savory Reads post last Friday, I mentioned that I wanted to start a Savory Saturdays series. Well, I decided to really try my hand at it! Right now I want to do it every other week, because I’m not sure if I will have the time to make enough dishes, photograph, edit and write the posts for it. Actually, I should be writing my master thesis and probably not spending so much time on my blog 😉 BUT, I love doing this, and everyone needs a little balance, right? So let’s jump right in: the first savory recipe on this blog is actually a pasta dish – Whole Wheat Pasta with Sundried Tomatoes and Lemon Breadcrumbs!
The original post for this recipe is actually a Lumaconi with Prosciutto and Lemon Breadcrumbs recipe from Bon Appétit, even though I came to this recipe through an already adapted version that can be found here (I mentioned this recipe in my second last Weekend Reading post). I decided to try my hand on it and make it more wholesome and healthy. The original recipe uses tons of oil and seems like there is a lot of salt in there too. Apart from that, I wanted to make it dairy-free as well. In the end, it actually turned out vegan 😉 (I’m not vegan, but I love to try my hand in making dishes vegan).
Whole Wheat Pasta with SunDried Tomatoes and Lemon Breadcrumbs
- 1 cup whole wheat pasta
- 3 sundried tomatoes (I used ones that were oil with oregano)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 small shallots
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ⅓ cup soy cream ('soy cuisine')
- lemon juice
- a pinch of salt
- some chopped parsley
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small clove of garlic
- lemon zest
- Chop 2 tomatoes very finely and heat them in a pan with the olive oil.
- Add shallots and garlic - let it soften and brown.
- When everything smells delicious and the shallots are soft, add the thyme, bay leave, a pinch of salt and soy cream to the pan.
- Let it boil up and then simmer for about 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and let it steep while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Boil pasta accordingly to the instructions on your packet!
- Heat the olive oil with finely chopped garlic in a pan and let it turn golden.
- Add in the bread crumbs, and stir, stir, stir until it starts to brown.
- Add in lemon zest, stir again and put it in a small bowl (otherwise it will burn).
- Take the thyme sprigs and bay leaf out from the sauce and add the remaining dried tomato to it (chop it first!).
- Add pasta to the sauce and heat up again, while stirring well to spread the sauce all over the pasta.
- When the dish is hot again, add some lemon juice and some chopped parsley and plate.
- On the plate, add breadcrumbs on top and garnish with some fresh thyme sprigs.
- The resulting dish is probably quite far away from the initial recipe, but it is delicious!
- The soy cream is used instead of traditional heavy cream and I used a product called ‘soy cuisine’ which is just perfect for this purpose
- The original recipe also called for some Brandy to be put into the sauce – I didn’t have any, so I simply omitted it
- If the sauce is a bit too thick right from the beginning, simply add a bit of water 🙂
Have you tried Whole Wheat Pasta with Sundried Tomatoes and Lemon Breadcrumbs before? Did you like this kind of recipe? What do you think in general about this bi-weekly series, is this something you want to see on my blog? Let me know in the comments!
Make sure to never miss out on a recipe and subscribe to my blog – either on in the sidebar, or right below this post if you are on a mobile device. You can also find me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter.