It’s the weekend again! Time for another installment of Savory Saturdays 🙂 This time it’s one for the last late fall foods: pumpkin! I hope you are not over it already – I still love it. I can hardly walk by the bag of already chopped up butternut squash at Trader Joes’s. So let me show you a very delicious way to make use of butternut squash or any kind of pumpkin. Let’s make Pumpkin Balsamic Bruschetta! Bruschetta is actually an Italian starter – but I love to eat it for lunch too and also in the way it was intended 😉
The recipe is very simple, yet so delicious that if you serve this to guests, they might think it took you hours and a lot of work! It also lasts a few days in the fridge, in case you make too much of it. So let’s jump right into the food making process:
Pumpkin Balsamic Bruschetta
- 1 multigrain baguette
- 1/2 bag cubed butternut squash (about 450g)
- 1 medium red onion
- balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- black pepper
- Put the butternut squash on a baking tray, drizzle it with about 2 tbsp olive oil and season it with salt and pepper.
- If you make it in a toaster oven, put it on high (400-450°F) for 20 minutes. It should be the same in a regular oven, just check that it doesn’t burn.
- Flip the squash after 10 minutes.
- While the pumpkin roasts, chop up the onion and start caramelizing it in a pan with the remaining olive oil. Don’t turn the heat up too high or it is going to burn.
- When the butternut squash is done roasting, add it to the pan, stir well and add some balsamic vinegar.
- Use a fork to mash up the squash – this should be very easy, as it is very soft after roasting.
- Mix everything well and you are done! Try it to see, if you would like more of a zing by adding more balsamic vinegar to it.
- Cut the baguette in slices, put the pumpkin onion mixture on top and put it back in the oven for about 5-10 minutes to toast it up. Enjoy!
You can also add some parsley or cilantro on top, like I did in this pictures!
Enjoyed this pumpkin balsamic bruschetta recipe? Stay up to date with Curls’n’Chard and subscribe to receive new updates through email. Follow me on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, where I share my daily eats and adventures!