It’s the end of the winter and the stocks of local, fresh fruits are running low! Apple cinnamon oatmeal is a trusty staple in the region where I live, because you can always get apples. Oatmeal with apples was probably the first combination I ever tried and I still love it dearly. In winter I personally prefer to stew my apple slices with cinnamon before putting them on top of my oatmeal – it’s an additional layer of warmth and makes the apple easier to digest. While this recipe is incredibly easy, I simply want to keep it here as a little reminder that the easiest things can make the tastiest dishes. This apple cinnamon oatmeal is free from refined sugar and vegan, due to rice milk being used in the recipe.
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup rice milk (or water if you want it a bit less indulgent, but you will need to add some sort of sweetener)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 handful almonds
- 1 apple
- Combine Oats, milk, salt, a pinch of cinnamon and the almonds in a little pot and bring to a boil.
- Stir carefully, so nothing sticks to the bottom and turn the heat down so the oatmeal simmers gently.
- Cut up the apple in little chunks or slices, place them in a pan and add a generous amount of cinnamon and a bit of water.
- Turn the heat on and wait until the water starts to boil - turn the heat down to medium and let this mixture simmer until the apples are starting to get soft.
- Plate the oatmeal and add the apples on top - you can also add the cinnamon-water, in case there is some left in the pan. It tastes delicious!
Did you know I’m on Pinterest? If not, please go follow me over there to see what recipes I’m loving and also what other things I’m coveting right now 😉