Happy Monday! Did you all survive the chocolate filled Easter weekend (if you celebrate)? How about a fresh, superfood berry ‘nicecream? This banana ice cream is full of superfoods like baobab, açai, grape seed and rosehip and has no added sugars or any other nasties.
I plain out love banana ice-cream – it’s incredibly versatile and made so quickly. It’s even delicious during winter time, which my Cinnamon Maple Banana Ice-Cream is definitely a proof for. That recipe was already a crowd pleaser (with bowl-licking included). You don’t want to miss even the last drop of this! This superfood berry ‘nicecream is a delicious spring and summer version of it that packs a punch on the vitamin end as well. Baobab on its own is already a little powerhouse, as it’s rich in vitamin C, and high in antioxidants and fibre (at least that’s what the little leaflet says that came with my powder!). Baobab comes from a tree, which is also called the tree of life in Africa, sounds good, right? I guess you all have heard about the high level of antioxidants in açai already? So let me also tell you that grape seed powder and rosehip are actually really good for you too, they are rich in vitamin C as well (well, rosehip is) and also generally in antioxidants and also omega fatty acids. I’m no doctor or nutrionist, but that’s what I have read about those ingredients, so I hope it’s true! 😉 And honestly, I feel much more energetic since I’ve added those ingredients to my diet on a regular level.
This superfood powered banana ice-cream will definitely help you over the typical lethargic feeling lots of us have in spring. The color alone makes me happy in the morning, so I hope you will feel the same. You can actually make this as smoothie bowl as well, if you prefer it not as cold or simply have only fresh bananas at home. Even though I eat it for breakfast, this would be a perfect dessert as well, or honestly any time of the day that you crave something refreshing and light!
- 1 large frozen banana
- ½ cup frozen berries (I used 6 frozen strawberries) + more for decoration
- 2 tbsp baobab powder
- 1 tbsp açai powder
- 1 tsp grape seed powder
- 1 tbsp rosehip powder
- 5 almonds
- 2 tbsp oats (optional)
- rice milk (or other milk of choice)
- cocoa nibs for sprinkling
- Put all the dry ingredients in the blender first and pulverize it. I used some almonds and oats in this 'nicecream too, to make it more substantial.
- Add the frozen fruit and a tiny bit of milk - depending on what kind of blender you have, you might need to add the frozen fruit in batches or let it thaw a bit!
- Pulse a few times and only add small amounts of liquid to it while you create the ice cream - it should be creamy and smooth but not too liquid. Also, make sure you don't blend too much, or it will all melt and you will have a smoothie (which is still delicious!).
- Scoop it into a bowl, sprinkle with cocoa nibs and some more berries and enjoy!
You can also make this as a smoothie - simply add more milk or use fresh instead of frozen fruit!
If you enjoyed this superfood berry ‘nicecream recipe, please share it with your friends and connect with me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest! Have you tried ‘nicecream or baobab? Let me know and have a wonderful week!