Hello Monday! It’s crazy how fast time progresses – we are at the end of April already and had quite a few really summery days already. This also means that I’m on the go more often and need little portable snacks, for when those afternoon cravings hit! Cue vegan raspberry cornmeal muffins. I had never made vegan muffins before, but simply switching out the egg with a chia eggs was so painless and easy that I was honestly surprised. This raspberry cornmeal muffin recipe is actually based on a cornbread recipe that I absolutely love – so you could also make it in a pan, you would just need to somewhat adjust the baking time.
Usually I wouldn’t even use paper liners for my muffins, but I have had those hanging around in my drawer for so long already that I figured it was time to use them! So don’t worry if you don’t have liners, just grease your muffin tin. My mini vegan raspberry cornmeal muffins would for sure also be awesome in regular muffin size – then one of them could even pass for breakfast 😉
If you don’t want to avoid a very fruit-juicy bottom, make sure that the raspberries are in the middle of the muffin, not to the very bottom. I added them in the pan first thing, so the bottoms of the muffins are quite juicy. I don’t mind (they actually remind me of those yoghurts I had as a child with the fruit on the bottom, even though the muffins don’t have anything in common with the yoghurt 😀 ), but if you do, make sure you add them after you poured the batter in. So, without further ado, let me tell you how to make my vegan raspberry cornmeal muffins!
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 chia "egg"*
- ¾ cup rice-coconut milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil or melted coconut oil**
- 1 handful raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/390°F.
- Sift the spelt flour and cornmeal in a bowl and whisk all the dry ingredients together.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine - don't over mix!
- Either add the raspberries in carefully right now, or place 2-3 later in each muffin "cup" by hand.
- Use a mini muffin tray and either grease it with coconut oil or use paper liners like I did.
- Fill each muffin cup about ⅔ full (spread the batter evenly between the cups, this was the perfect amount for me). Don't forget the raspberries, if you haven't added them in yet!
- Bake for about 35 minutes - start checking around the 20 minute mark, it really depends on your oven. A toothpick should come out clean, than they are done.
**I used coconut oil, but it is a bit of a pain to work with here. Make sure that all the other liquid ingredients are at least room temperature, better warmer - otherwise the coconut oil will turn solid again! If that happens, just pop the mixture in the microwave for a few seconds to melt the coconut oil again.
If you enjoy this vegan raspberry cornmeal muffin recipe, please share it with your friends! Stay in touch with me as well, so you find out about my future recipes and everything regarding a healthy, earth friendly lifestyle! You can find me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and also on Snapchat! Just look for curlsnchard on Snapchat and you will find me 🙂