Hello new week! What have I got for you guys this week? Well, some of you might know that I’m obsessed with my chocolate mint plant that I got at the rare plants market in Graz. If you follow me on Instagram, you saw all my creations where I used it already, so this recipe will for sure be no surprise to you. Let me introduce you to my Moringa “After-Eight” Chocolate Mint Smoothie Bowl. It’s vegan, refined sugar free and tastes amazingly like the thin mint filled chocolate. Instead of being a sweet treat, it’s actually a nourishing breakfast bowl that’s really good for you!
I love creating smoothie bowls that are so thick, they feel like you are eating ice-cream. If they taste like dessert on top of it, even better. This moringa chocolate mint smoothie bowl checks all those points and healthy on top of it. It’s chock full of green ingredients, thanks to the moringa leaf powder, barley grass powder and spinach. In case you are not familiar with moringa powder, it’s made from the leaves of the moringa tree. This tree is a little miracle in itself, and the powder is full of vitamin A, protein, iron and vitamin B1, B2, B3, and B6 – at least according to the packaging my powder came in and also what I found online. Just do a little research for yourself too, so you see that I’m not making this up. 😉
Do you know After-Eight? Those thin chocolate squares, filled with peppermint cream? The taste of this chocolate mint smoothie bowl really reminds me of it. Probably also thanks to the crunch of the cocoa nibs, which give more interesting texture to this little bowl of deliciousness. If you’ve been reading through any of my smoothie/nicecream/raw recipes, you know that I’m big on having different textures in a bowl. This moringa chocolate mint smoothie bowl is no exception! So let’s jump right into the recipe.
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 handful chocolate mint leaves*
- 1 big handful spinach (frozen)
- 2 tbsp oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp moringa leaf powder
- 1 tsp barley grass powder
- Rice-coconut milk as needed (or other milk of your choice)
- 1 liberal sprinkle cacao nibs
- 1-2 dates (optional for more sweetness)
- Put all the dry ingredients (except the cocoa nibs) into a blender and pulverize.
- Add in the banana and spinach leaves and a bit of liquid, to help it blend. If you want it extra sweet, add the dates in as well.
- Blend until smooth, and add more rice-coconut milk as needed to achieve the desired consistency.
- Pour in a bowl, garnish with some more mint and sprinkle cacao nibs on top. Enjoy!
If you enjoy this moringa “After-Eight” chocolate mint smoothie bowl, please share it with your friends!
Also, follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to stay up to date with my recent experiments, travels, inspirations and so much more! There is unique content on each of those platforms, so don’t worry you’ll see the same everywhere 😉
Now tell me, do you know and/or like After-Eight? Have you heard about a chocolate mint plant before? Tell me in the comments!