My favorite natural hair care products for curly hair that really work!
Hello guys, how about a new addition to my natural beauty articles? Today is going to be all about my current favorite natural hair care products. I have naturally curly hair, which is still relatively fine, so I have to be careful what I put into it, in order to not have limp strands. Depending on how I treat my curls they can be an awesome (controlled) lion’s mane or ringlets, a frizzy mess that is in some parts nearly straight and everything in between. While I usually try to be fairly minimalistic in most other beauty areas, hair care is definitely not one of them. So continue reading, if you want to know which natural hair care products I love from Shea Moisture, Carol’s Daughter, Kinky-Curly, Deva Curl, Alverde and Lush.
Whew, quite a lot of different brands, right? Well, I love to experiment. Also, unfortunately, lots of them are not easily available in Europe. Oh, and quite a few actually are marketed for African (-American) curls, but hey, they work wonderful on my curls too. Sometimes I just have to be a bit more light handed, as my hair is not as dry, as African (-American) curls seem to be. I actually learned how to care for my curls from Curly Nikki, so if you struggle with your naturally curly hair – check her out!
In order to not make this post epically long, I will only tell you a few words about each product, why I love it and the price point. If you want a more in depth review on a certain product (or brand), please let me know in the comments! So let’s jump right in to my favorite natural hair care products for curly hair.
Natural Hair Care Shampoo and in shower conditioner
- Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampo (Shea Moisture) – the smell! I’m a huge coconut fan and this just smells divine. Apart from smelling really good, it is an amazing, gentle natural shampoo that doesn’t strip my hair (9,99$)
- Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Conditioner (Shea Moisture) – honey is one of the ingredients that my hair absolutely loves. This conditioner is no exception and that they in addition support poverty fighting projects with this line makes it a win-win for me. It gives my hair the perfect slip for detangling and leaves it really soft and shiny (9,99$ – I think this one is Target exclusive)
- Kinky-Curly Knot Today – this has been one of my first “holy grail” natural hair care product. No matter how tangled you hair is, this will melt those tangles away. I use it either as a rinse out conditioner, or also as a leave in or refresher, if my hair needs some extra pampering. (12$)
- Braziliant Shampoo Bar and Honey I Washed My Hair Shampoo Bar(Lush) – a bit more about them further down, but if you want to cut back on packaging, still want delicious smelling hair that gets clean very easily, I can highly recommend both of them. The Braziliant one strengthens your hair and the Honey one helps with shine. (each 9,95€)
I only detangle my hair when it is wet and soaked with conditioner. For that I either use a cheapy version of a tangle teezer (this little brush cost me 2€ and has lasted me 2 years already) or a wide tooth comb. This one is from Ebelin Nature (DM) and is actually made from a glucose based plastic, which is 100% renewable (I asked the customer service about it 😀 ).
Natural Hair Care Leave-In Conditioner and Styling Products
- Black Vanilla Leave-In Conditioner (Carol’s Daughter) – I got roped into this product by the smell and some YouTubers being very much in love with it. 😉 It did not disappoint! It smells lovely and provides my hair with lots of moisture, but doesn’t weigh it down. (11$)
- Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk (Shea Moisture) – another Shea Moisture product, again from the Coconut & Hibiscus range. This is my favorite creamy leave in conditioner. It provides enough moisture, but again doesn’t weigh my hair down. Additional bonus point: your hair smells awesome! (9,99$)
- Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel – this is a product I wasn’t sure I really loved at first. Using it like my other gels, it weighed my hair down and made it crunchy. The trick: Using it when I blow dry my hair! This way it gives me beautiful, frizz free curls. (9$ – 3oz version)
- Repair Haarpsitzen Fluid (Alverde) – an oldie but goodie. I actually use it as a leave in all over my hair. It’s so affordable that I really don’t feel like I’m wasting the product. It gives me shine and a bit of texture to the hair. No weighing down 🙂 (2,65€)
The only product(s) I want to give a little additional shout-out, are the solid shampoo bars from Lush. If you had tried them a few years ago and did not like them (like me), give them another try. I love both of the new ones that I tried and you really only need a tiny amount. Use wet hands, slightly rub the shampoo bar in your hands and that’s it! If you use too much, you will end up with a dry and unhappy scalp. Bonus of only needing a tiny amount: this product will last you forever, does not need any plastic packaging and saves you money in the long run! Oh, and thanks to the lovely girl in Lush Graz for helping me pick out the right shampoos for me. 🙂
So, now it’s your turn! Do you use natural hair care products? Do you have curly hair too? Let me know in the comments below 🙂 Also, make sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Snapchat (curlsnchard), to stay up to date with all my experiments, recipes and to see what inspires me.