A delicious and quick oven baked pancake – vegan, free from refined sugar and absolutely delicious!
About a week ago, I asked you guys to help me name a little pancake that I baked in the oven. That morning I was roasting sweet potatoes and was too lazy to actually make regular pancakes. So, I figured that I could just try and make it in the oven. And guess what? I worked and tasted delicious. Kind of like cake in it’s texture. Yes, I felt like eating cake for breakfast, but in the end I ate just an oven baked pancake that is vegan on top of it.
Your suggestions on Instagram were bakecake and panbake and a lovely follower on Twitter suggested pancake cake! 😀 I really loved the panbake name! So, Kat (@fithealthyhappyliving), if you happen to live close enough to me (as you are a fellow Austrian), you’re officially invited to be treated to a panbake! But back to the breakfast itself.
The recipe is really simple and actually just my wheat-free vegan pancake recipe, with fruit added into the batter and a different preparation mode. Due to being baked in the oven, the texture also changes, and feels like you are actually eating cake. To top it off, I simply heated a few raspberries up and then sprinkled some coconut on top – because I love coconut. But that’s totally optional, because I know there are people who are not exactly coconut fans. 😉 I don’t even want to talk much longer about the theoretical part of this oven baked pancake, because I’m pretty sure you all just want to see the recipe and know how long to bake it! I haven’t tried baking this in the microwave yet, but I’m pretty sure it would work. The top would probably not get this “baked” texture, most likely a bit more soft, but I’m sure it would still taste just as good.
- ½ cup oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp vanilla powder
- pinch of salt
- rice milk (or other milk of your choice)
- 1 handfull raspberries (or other berries you have on hand/are in season)
- Coconut oil for greasing (optional)
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F and grease a small oven-safe dish with some coconut oil.*
- Place all the dry ingredients into a blender and blend it into a powdery mixture.
- Slowly add in rice milk to create a slightly liquid-y pancake batter (the chia seeds will soak up quite some moisture).
- Add in the berries by hand and pour mixture into the already greased dish.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the top is firm and starts to brown.
I hope you enjoyed this oven baked pancake recipe – let me know in the comments below what you think! How do you call this kind of dish? If you enjoy it, share it with your friends and stay connected with me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.