Happy Monday guys! You know the drill, it’s time for a new recipe. Strawberry season is in full swing here in Austria, so why not make it strawberry season here on my blog too? You guys know that I love mug cakes. What could be better than eating cake for breakfast that is actually not bad for you? So let me introduce you to my newest mug cake creation: a vanilla-chocolate mug cake with strawberries. And guess what, it’s vegan, gluten-free and ready to eat from start to finish in less than 15 minutes! Someone on Instagram also called this a healthy version of a neapolitan cake 😉
I had actually never heard of Neapolitan cake before, but it turns out it is a 3 layer cake with a chocolate, vanilla and strawberry layer. Well, you have all those flavors in this mug cake as well! This Vanilla-Chocolate Mug Cake is only sweetened with a bit of maple syrup, made from corn flour and vegan. I really enjoy the taste of corn flour in this recipe and it also helps with the gorgeous yellow color. The recipe below calls for non-dairy yogurt, instead of milk. You might wonder why: In my experience, the yogurt gives the mug cake more moisture, which I love. If you don’t like yogurt, or don’t have any handy, you can definitely use milk as well. Just make sure you don’t over bake it, otherwise the cake might turn out dry. Let’s jump right to the recipe, shall we? Enjoy!
- ½ cup corn flour (or corn meal, depending on what you call it where you live)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 pinch of baking soda
- ½ tsp vanilla powder
- 2 tbsp plain non-dairy yoghurt*
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa
- 2 strawberries
- Mix the flour, chia seeds, baking soda, vanilla powder and yogurt in a small bowl until it forms an even batter. If the batter feels too dry, add a little more yogurt or even just some water into it.
- Wash the strawberries and chop them up into little pieces.
- Take a microwave safe tea mug, and spoon a bottom layer of dough into it.
- Add some strawberry pieces and continue until only about a table spoon of batter is left.
- Mix the leftover batter with the cocoa powder and add it to the top layer in a swirling motion.
- Put the mug into the microwave on high for about 4 minutes. The top should not be runny anymore. Check after two minutes!
Thank you so much for reading guys – if you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your friends! I would also love to stay connected with you – find me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest! Oh, and if you have Snapchat, add me as curlsnchard. I show a lot of peaks behind the scenes and snippets from my life!